They call it Gazebo, I call it Sanctuary (Funny and Yet Sweet Story)

This was forwarded by a friend of mine, asking me if I may post this on my blog. Names are changed for security purposes.




Dear Abon at Fisda,
I'd like to share this story of mine to all your readers out there.
This is no ordinary romantic story or some sort, but an experience worth reading.
So, I hope you would post this on your blog.

It was a simple yet sunny day in Ateneo de Davao University.
You could say it was something usual or just a normal school day.
For most people that is, except for me. I say, it was a day worth remembering for the rest of my life. Or should I say, an Unforgettable Enchanting Day.

I'm currently on my fourth year in Ateneo. So, I could say, a semester left for me to graduate. But, due to some financial matters, I need to stop for a semester. I am Soji, a typical and average student in Ateneo. I'm a cheerful yet, very funny person, based on my friends testimonies. I couldn't agree me. But, I hear less from them stating that I'm sensible, understanding and all those chummy descriptions of a Perfect Guy type of guy. 
I'm also a member of a Progressive Organization just like you, but I don't think we've met. But boy, you're a modern day Bonifacio. 

Okay, i'm straying off my course. I wanted to share this because it's worth something. Well, for me it does. 
It's about this girl I call Ms. Sanctuary. Sanctuary because, she took over my usual spot in the Thibault Grounds or people would call it, the Gazebo that I call My Sanctuary. She's no popular icon in the campus, or from a well-off family. She's a modern day Salome(a character from El Filibusterismo) that I admire. She's very attractive and I find her very pretty. The first time I saw her was on the 26th of January 2010. I was my way to Claveria, when I accidentally passed-by her. If I could remember well, she also exchanged glance with me. 

Or maybe I was just over-exaggerating things.

Ever since that day, her beauty clings into my mind even in my dreams. Sometimes, I get daydreams of her. Here how it all started.

Summer passed, after a tragic break-up from my girlfriend. I was really sad. Sad to the extent that I want to pull a trigger of a gun against my putrid shallow head. I did what I should do. I gave my heart to her. But she didn't understood what I'm fighting for.
Well, that's for my ex of course.
It was May, and I visited a friend's retreat house somewhere in Davao. I stayed there for two months. My family didn't know about it. Except for my dad. I was too pre-occupied. Too baffled about what to do and not to. I was too pressed by issues that couldn't caress any longer with my advocacies. I need time to think. Time to look into myself deeper.

And after two months. I went home. Of course, hearsays echoed every part of our house. But I didn't bother. 

But believe me or not, my two months of stay there remolded my very being. I become critical, more mature, understanding and of course, responsible. And also, I thought of her,that girl I saw 2 days before my birthday.

I haven't enrolled for the semester. Financial deficit and all. But I didn't bother. I had a job. A very fulfilling and worthy profession. 

I was too curious.
One day, I was invited to be one of the 18 roses in a surprise celebration at the gazebo by a friend. Well, I couldn't refuse.
It's for a meaningful purpose anyways. 
Then after surprising the celebrant, I saw her. I saw her on the bench where I used to be sitting whenever I needed fresh air. My Sanctuary where I usually draw and listen to my iPod. 
She was there, and she greeted the débutante.

So, I got a very intriguing question in mind.

Are they friends?

So, after that day. I started browsing all the friends of my friend in Facebook. It's not stalking or anything, I'm just torpe, that's all. And I don't want people to know that I had a crush on her. I failed seeing her in my friend's facebook account.

Minutes, Hours, Days, and Months had passed, I still don't know her name. Who is she?

Until this one morning.
I chatted my friend via Facebook. I saw a tagged photo of her from this friend of mine's album. 
Eureka! I found a photo of her. But geeze. It's not tagged to her. 
So, against all odds, I asked her name from my friend.

"do you happen to know her? this girl from the picture. She's 2nd from the right."

"oh! crush mo siya? Kilala ko siya. siya si,"

I was having a very very heavy twitterpat. Could it be?
Could it be happening? Is it love at first sight? Could this be the start of something that would totally awaken my dead heart?

Well, yes. It is the start. That's her name. That's the girl of my dreams and the girl from the Gazebo.
The girl I call, Ms. Sanctuary.

Let's jump to that day.
Okay. I added her in Facebook. Then she accepted me. I sent her messages, private messages so that I could stay away from teases. And also protect her from teases as well.

I was eagerly waiting for her reply. After 2 days. She replied from the message i sent her. I was like going to melt. Cheesy i could say. Even corny for some. But, heck, It's how i would describe it. I wanted to meet her in person. I wanted to hear her voice. I wanted to ask her many questions. I wanted to converse with her . I wanted to be with her. I like her.
And hopefully, and faithfully, I would want to love her for the rest of my existence.

Well, that's overly cheesy. But that's what I truly feel.
One day, I sat on one of the benches near the Gazebos. There was a raffle draw happening in the Thibault grounds. I totally forgotten, I bought 5 raffle tickets. So I waited there, praying for Lady Luck to hear me. And guess what.

Talk about the Unexpected.
She was walking towards me. Or somewhere near me. So when she was near me, we looked at each other. I was totally blank. And deep within me, I was saying,

"is this real? tell me this is not happening.. OMG OMG OMG! she's so pretty"

I was totally blushing. I was too nervous, I smiled at her.
And Lady Luck was so kind.

She, Ms. Sanctuary smiled back at me.

I was too happy. Of course she left. But they sat on the next Gazebo.
And after that, my name was called. I won a Oreo Cake.


Moving forward
Here's the first part of the epic trilogy of this year.(Well, for now)

First
September 9,2010
I was in the Gazebo, waiting for my friends to talk to.
We had a discussion over politics and etcetera. Until.
Until she came. I mean, she was there at the Sanctuary. All alone.
Of course I wanted to excuse myself from my friends, but we are in the middle of a very crucial debate/discussion. So I just had to finish it first. So, afterwards, Egad! She's alone no more. 
I was a bit sad. Though, I'm still optimistic. I was planning to finally meet her in person. So I waited for her to be alone, or at least with a friend. I can't look at her, since she's looking at my direction as well.

I was too nervous. And too twitterpatted(kinikilig).
My friends anticipated my actions, and started asking who the girl was. I said she's someone that inspires me. So they wanted to help me. I can't go near her so what I did, I wrote the words I wanted to say to her in a piece of paper from my notebook(cheap, but sweet). 

Okay, I also doodled on the paper. She left, but went on one of the Gazebos behind us. I kept asking my friends if she was staring at our direction. And my friends tricked me saying she doesn't. SO i took a glimpse, EGAD! She was staring at me. So our eyes met. *Doki-Doki* I'm so embarrassed that I kept going to the fountain.
Moving forward, I was too embarrassed. I can't do it. I'm to nervous and weak to do it. So, my friends suggested and volunteered themselves to give my letter to her. 
They left the Gazebo, so i had a relief, but felt very sad. 

But wait, they were heading towards the Claveria gate, so I had a chance to at least hand the letter to her. She was with her close friend, so I took my letter from my friends and ran after them. 

At the gate, I was like 5 steps behind them. But, I was like a crazy guy rehearsing what I would say, how I would say it and etcetera. 
Okay, they were about to part ways, so it's my chance to tell her.

I was already behind her, when. 
EGAD! She went inside the Multicab! I ran after the cab, pat her shoulders and ... (here's the crazy part)

"Uhm(very nervous voice).. E-excuse m-m-me. Miss. Uhm... Pi-pinabibigay nga pala ng FF-Friend ko.."

I turned around and ran back inside the campus. 

I WAS SO STUPID! VERY STUPID. I didn't know what to do, so I was so stupid. I kept saying to myself ,

"I'm so stupid! I'm so stupid! Why did I do that! I don't deserve to live anymore!"

And my friends saw me, and called my attention. But I ran back to the Gazebo. And so, I sat there. My friends went back to ask how did it go.

"I want to die! Please kill me!"



So they got the picture. They said it was okay, and at least I was brave enough to do that.

Although it was kind of cute for them. But for me? Boy! I really wanted to commit suicide.


That night, I asked her friend if I may ask her number.And she permitted her friend to give the number to me.

I texted her. I forgot the exact words, but the thought of the text goes,

"UHM. Good Evening.. Hehehe.. Hi.. Hehehe.. UHM.."
Even through text, I'm so nervous.

But as time flies, we started to build a good friendly relationship with each other. And there, she replied that I was a good artist and thanked me for the letter. Although she was really shocked from what I did.

And that's the end of the first part.
I'll continue the second and third part next time.


I do hope that this would be posted, and hope to inspire our young generations to respect LOVE, respect LIFE, respect GIRLS, and also respect YOURSELF.

Yours Truly,
Soji(not his real identity)

Submitted 10/30/2010 9:52PM (GMT+8:00)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ang Edukasyon sa kasalukuyan (Ateneo de Davao University True Story)

Miseducation of a Filipino by Renato Constantino

Nakaw